Frannie's Blog

My photo
Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada
I look for beauty and truth in everything. It's not always there of course but I try to find it or make it happen. I love people who make me laugh.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009


















I once had a dream which was so vivid it stayed in my mind for years. Finally I tried to capture its essence and this is how it came out. It's called Poppy-Doll Dream.
I made this as a wall-hanging. First I painted the images on a satin-like fabric using acrylic washes. Next I covered the painted fabric with a sheer fabric and, with some cotton sheeting on the back, I hand embroidered randomly using cotton thread and silver thread around the eyes. The silver thread is metallic and doesn't sit as well as I'd like, it tends to kink. There is probably some better-quality thread available. I must research this because I think I'm going to re-do the whole thing. In that respect this piece is quite dream-like; it keeps recurring.

2 comments:

cc'd said...

these are truly beautiful - I appreciate your posts...

Joanna Olson said...

Wish my dreams were as creative as yours!
I love the sheer fabric over the images.