Frannie's Blog

My photo
Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada
I look for beauty and truth in everything. It's not always there of course but I try to find it or make it happen. I love people who make me laugh.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Synaesthesia









I see letters and numbers in colour. These colours have always remained the same ever since I can remember. As a child I thought everyone did this but other kids' reactions to my observations on the subject made me realize I was in a minority. Much later I learned there is a word for this odd gift: SYNAESTHESIA. It means a mixing of the senses. It is thought we all did this as infants but that most of us have tidied up our brain synapses or extension cords as we grew up. Evidently some of us didn't bother with this pruning, including me.

There are other forms of synaesthesia involving sound, taste, touch and other senses. My version deals mainly with colour and I enjoy it because, for instance, everyone I know has name and that name is in colour, always the same colour.

No comments: